Monday, June 20, 2011

#96 (1998): The Searchers

M: Didn’t care for it. I’m already not a fan of John Wayne, but piled on top of that is a long movie that gives no clear timeline of events. The film moves as if days or months are passing and it turns out to be years. Wayne plays a Civil War veteran (the confederate side…how’d that work out?). After a run-in with Indians, his niece is taken captive and Wayne takes on the long pursuit of rescuing her, his general hatred of Indians growing in the process.

M's rating:






J: Boooooooooooo! I had to watch this movie in college and I hated it. Maybe I'd like it more a decade later? As it turns out, no, no I would not. So far, the only movies we've watched that I've disliked have been Westerns. I'm not completely Western-averse. I liked the new True Grit. I remember enjoying The Quick and the Dead, but that was at the height of my DiCaprio-mania; I'm pretty sure that's actually a terrible movie. Anyway, I don't like this movie even a little bit. At least Charlie was a source of amusement, but I'm not sure if he was supposed to be slow. The only good thing about a second viewing of this movie is that at least this time I didn't have to write an essay about it. John Ford owes me four hours of my life back!

J's rating:






IMDB

Wikipedia

No comments:

Post a Comment