Tuesday, August 2, 2011

#94: Goodfellas

M: Can’t go wrong with this gritty, wise-guy Scorcese film, with a phenomenal cast of actors. Ray Liotta plays Hill and pulls off the gangster role flawlessly; Joe Pesci, play’s Hill’s brutal, quick-to-violence partner, and Robert De Niro who needs no laudation. The movie is the true story of Henry Hill who, as a boy, always wanted to be a gangster and gets an early start, mixing with crooked elements and exposing himself to a wave of crime and violence.

M's rating:





J: A Martin Scorsese film, you say? So it's going to be long and violent. Like The Departed, but without all of those actors I like (plus Mark Wahlberg. Bazinga.) Dread. But, I actually ended up liking this more than I thought I would. It got better for me after a certain obnoxious character took a much-deserved bullet to the back of the head. Also, I thought the pacing was great. It didn't feel like an unbearably long movie. Plus, Robert De Niro is always awesome. Besides the excessive violence, my only complaint is the age thing. Early on, De Niro and Liotta were way older than their characters were supposed to be and it was kind of distracting. But that's just being picky.


J's rating:




No comments:

Post a Comment